Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Progress

Progress, how ever slow, is still just that.
After my last post I have more or less been obsessed with finding out how people have reacted to this radical surgery, and during my wanderings found a procedure that Id never heard of. The Duodenal Switch, which is like a Gastric Sleeve and a modified Bypass. The Sleeve part is where they basically cut off 3/4 of your stomach and staple it back up, boom, thats it. No rearranging the intestines, no "pouch", so far less complications to begin with, well, there are complications, just different ones I guess. THEN they take a portion of your small intestine and basically cut it off from the base of your stomach where it would normally empty into, and shorten it, making the stomach contents, which are far smaller than they used to be, dump directly into the digestive loop portion of the intestine, which cases malabsorption. Thus, the combo of the smaller stomach, which does not allow for as much food in general, and the malabsorption, which basically dumps a serious percentage of the the food that does make it down out of your body.
The good part is, of course, you lose weight. The bad part is, you have to be VERY careful to pound 40-50 pills (vitamins and supplements) a day for the rest of your life or you will literally die from malnutrition. Of course before you got to the death stage you would certainly know something was wrong, especially when your teeth and hair started to fall out.
Not a pretty picture.
The Sleeve procedure alone, however, does not touch the intestines at all, which makes for a slower, but still effective weight loss, much like the band, but there is no malabsorption. The down side is, you can gain weight back easier.I have read, however, that due to the stomach being cut to such a small size it can never be as big as it once was, so you would not be able to gain back to the weight you were. I wouldn't want to test that theory though.
The worst complications I have read about for those 2 surgeries range from not tolerating certain foods or alcohol (Boo Hiss!!!) to having a leak in the stomach after surgery causing MAJOR problems and additional surgeries.
Then again, some people have been able to eat just about anything and drink just fine, only the alcohol hits you harder and for some, goes away faster. Plus it slows, or can even stop altogether, your weight loss due to the fact that its sugar, and if your drinking your ingesting empty calories.

Ive been reading a lot about he alcohol part, knowing my love of the drink, and I feel like if the worst that happens is I cant ever drink again it wouldn't be a horrible consequence. Would I probably absolutely HATE it at first? Yes. I sometimes think that this procedure would be more successful for me if I COULDN'T drink ever again. Even if I hated it.

I love to drink...WAY too much, and even my justification of only drinking on the weekends doesn't get me around the fact that when I do drink I drink an enormous amount at one time, lately leaving me hung over all day and unable to do basic things. It also tends to be a driving factor in any social activity I might have the opportunity to attend. Basically if theres not going to be any booze, I aint going! Which, really, is not a good thing.

So part of my decision, for ANY of the surgeries out there is the no drinkie drinkie one. Because there is a possibility that my body will not allow it afterwards. Thats been something Ive read across the board with every type of surgery out there despite the fact that a friend of a friend i know apparently has no problems with it. I think its just the luck of the draw.

As far as the band and the regular bypass, thats out. After reading about the complications and the way you have to eat and drink afterwards, forever, I think not. Heres the kicker though, the Sleeve and the Duodenal Switch are only covered under my insurance if I have a BMI of 50 or more. FIFTY!!!! Ridiculous!!!
This is partly I think because its really not done as often or by as many surgeons and so its still considered to be a "new" surgery. Its been done since the mid 80's though and all the risks combined, I think its the way to go. Well, one of the 2 is anyway.
So I made phone calls. Based on my sister, Beth recommendation I started at Emory Bariatric Clinic. Its Emory after all, top notch, right? Well I guess a bunch of other people think that too since I cant even get an initial appointment until June 23rd!!! But I figured Ive waited this long, I can wait a little longer to get started. In the mean time I continued my research and thats when I came across the DS procedure. Id heard of the sleeve before and I dont think Emory even does it, so after reading about the DS I looked for a local surgeon in my area that performs it. Turns out there are only 2 in the state of Georgia!
Fortunately, one of those is very near my office, so I decided to call them and see what the deal is.
I dont know if they are less busy, but I do know Im going to an "Informative Workshop" discussing the procedures done at the hospital by this Dr. next Thursday. The conversation I had with the woman on the phone at Kennestone Hospital ( the DS place) was where I found out that my BMI needs to be 50 or higher to have Blue Cross Blue Shield Highmark cover this surgery. Im at.....(drum-roll please)...49.1. YIKES!! I thought that was bad enough but apparently Im about 8-10 lbs off to qualify.
She asked me if I was sure about my height, and I told her Id just been measured that Monday at my Drs office. She said, "now Im not telling you to lie about it, but just so you know, if you WERE 5'7", instead of 5'8", you would qualify."
(side note....apparently Im shrinking...I used to be 5'10")
She suggested that I I ask to be weighed and measured at the seminar. UGH!

Humiliation aside, Im doing it. Screw it. I figure in this adventure to come Im going to experience a LOT of humiliating moments involving weighing, measuring, and naked giggly parts being exposed to total strangers so I might as well get used to it.
Now Im left with the sinking feeling of, what if I dont qualify for the Sleeve or DS? I really dont want to get either of the other operations, but I feel like I will be giving up if I dont.
I always worry about the "what if" before there is a need to worry though, so this time Im going to try not to.
Not giving up, not stopping the process. Ive even still kept my Emory appointment just in case this one doesnt work out, just in case.
I will say reading the stories on line from people who have seriously regretted these surgeries..ALL types of them...do scare me, but I have to believe there are many more success stories out there as well. Ive seen some of those too, just freak out about the bad ones I guess.
All I know is if in a year from now I can be writing about the freakish amount of weight Ive lost since January I will be happy. Hopefully.




No comments:

Spring has Sprung, but the flowers are Gone

Its a beautiful Saturday morning. I am sitting at my upstairs den desk which looks out a window. The view from here is nice. I can see the b...