Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Power of Positive Thinking

I'm sure by now everyone has heard of The Secret. Its not really a secret, its positive thinking, plain and simple.
When I first heard of this secret I was annoyed by the dumb gullible people once again jumping on the band wagon of the latest fad, and I refused to even look into it.
Then yesterday I saw an Oprah show...( yes God help me I watched Oprah).. where they were sort of reviewing the idea again and I got the gist. Yes, its true, it is simply positive thinking, and everyone knows that if your always thinking about the negative that's pretty much what you get back.
The one thing it does do is give you ideas of how to begin to train yourself to HAVE the positive thoughts and to push out the negative ones.
That's where I fall short. I dwell on my past and what I should have done instead of what I can do in my future if I am paying attention to NOW.

One of the things I heard to do was to make a board with things you would like to have happen in your life. Or start more simply. Write 3 things you would like to have most on a post-it and stick it on a mirror you look into every day.

So last night I wrote:

Romantic Love

My Career

Healthy Lifestyle

As you can see my health is at the bottom of the list and love is at the top. Career being in the middle.

As of this moment, looking at the screen, I realized as I was typing those words I have my priorities mixed up.
What I need first is a healthy lifestyle, then the job, then the love, because if I'm not happy in the other things the love is not going to be right for me, or likely never come at all.

( is that thinking in the negative?)

So I'm going to go home and reorder my list, then maybe start that board, only I'm going to use the wall in my gym room. Instead of plastering the walls with pictures of the hot barback or anyone else that has clearly not been a good influence in my life, I'm going to start with my dreams. What I want.

become a Personal Chef
Fix up the kitchen
Get the yard landscaped
maybe add a bathroom
make more money
go to the beach more often
go deep sea fishing
take a balloon ride
go places I have never been like Savannah, and Charleston
get my weight to a manageable level so my health is better and I can travel more
go to Ireland
let romantic love find me


these are a few things, and I can have them all if I put my mind to them.

The power of positive thinking. Ive never really had it.
Even when I thought I was being positive Id still dwell on the past. Ive never really looked at the future.
Once someone asked me where I saw myself in 5 years and I honestly couldnt say. Not even when I thought about it, because I never HAVE thought about it.
So now I am thinking about it.

Its so hard to change your mind. Harder than getting on the treadmill when your tired, harder than eating right when your feeling lazy and just plain hungry for junk.
Changing your mind set is like brainwashing yourself.

I'm going to need all my strength.
Looking back over this blog/purge I see several occasions where Ive announced that I'm doing just that, and it hasn't happened yet.

( again...negative??)

What happens? Do I just forget about it one day? Maybe so. Maybe that's where the dream board ( or wall in my case) comes into play. To be a constant reminder of what you want and whats out there for you to have.

So heres to the dreams of us all! May we have the mind to make them come true.

2 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

You gave me chillbumps! This is a powerful, powerful post! I don't see a negative thing in it. You're figuring out what's most important for you and laying out the ways to get it. Identifying your problem areas is NEVER negative as long as you're also figuring out ways to "fix" the problem.

I'm feeling incredibly postive things for your future right now!

Unknown said...

Hi,

You have an extremely wonderful blog. To grow to be a profitable human being the essential thing is to have positive thinking. Get pleasure from Sky Rocketing Good results with Turbo charged Positive Affirmations... Produce Positive Thinking So You may Remove Pressure From the Life, Boost Your Self-Confidence and Plan Your self For Lifetime Achievements!

Spring has Sprung, but the flowers are Gone

Its a beautiful Saturday morning. I am sitting at my upstairs den desk which looks out a window. The view from here is nice. I can see the b...